Thursday, August 18, 2005

Almost through the first week

Well, it's thursday evening which means that there is only one more day of school left in the week. I've gotta say that I'm way more relaxed and less strung out than I was during my practicum placements at the same time into the game.

The first few days have gone really well so far. The kids are a lot of fun (and I won't say too much about them just incase one of them stumbles across ol' Mr. Roy's blog) and are great to talk to. They are very chatty but that is quite normal for that age and for Colombian children in general. It is a talking culture much more than in Canada. On the first day I did some science magic tricks (making a test tube dissapear and showing them the science rope tube that I made during the summer). Because of Tom Russell's class I really was conscious to make it a lot of fun and very active in the first few days. They seem to be pretty pumped about science so far! Yesterday and today were taken up doing an activity called Orange Lifejacket where you investigate the bouyant properties of oranges (the peel acts like a lifejacket), and tommorow we will start the Great Plasticine Challenge. I'm also going to be helping out with students council which should be no surprise to anyone.

The other day I was shopping at Lacatorce and was busy carrying my groceries out when it hit me.... I'm in Colombia and I'm not even thinking about it! I guess this place is getting more familiar by the day, the mountains are just becoming a dropback to my breakfast. I'm also getting really used to not being able to talk to anyone and instead playing a series of charade games. I had a real dip about a week ago where I was really frustrated at not being able to make myself understood to anyone but I got over it pretty quick. My kids were really curious about me and asked if I knew any Spanish. Two groups actually got me to say something in Spanish which put them in hysterics. Of course I said "?dande esta mes changlas?"

Ok, it's getting late and I've gotta get back to the Engenio (that's where I live). Jordan and I got our plants so the apartment looks like a jungle now.

Oh yeah, there is a math teacher here who is into sci-fi, fantasy books and buddhism so he may have to be my new best friend.

Signing off for now,

-Matt

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be terribly amusing to have an entire room of kids calling you Mr. Roy.

"Where are my changlas?" What the heck is a changlas?

Really glad to hear you're having fun :) One of these days you're going to wake up and realize that you've been dreaming in Spanish and then you'll know it's too late to ever come home =P

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like you've found your soulmate.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is hard to imagine you being called Mr. Roy, it sounds so...professional, but we all have to grow up some time, right?;) And to get those kids excited about science is great. Good for you, Matt. :)

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"(and I won't say too much about them just incase one of them stumbles across ol' Mr. Roy's blog)"
Well, one of your 2005-2006 student did stumble across your blog (It was some absurd coincidence). Anyways I've been reading around your blog and this bring me plenty of memories of your class. Props to you, you were (are) a magnificent teacher and I always enjoyed your lessons.
Hoping you'll remember me,
Santiago Villegas

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home