Thursday, September 08, 2005

My First Taste of Tear Gas





When the teacher bus (that takes us home) was passing the university that is near El Ingenio where I live we saw all these police in riot gear with the big sheilds and robocop armour blocking it off...... And then my eyes started to water and sting like crazy and breathing not entirely pleasant.

No worries! I was just getting the blown off residue of the tear gas that was used on the campus. Apparently crazy protests are a VERY regular thing and this tear gassing happens about once a month there. I think that people were throwing rocks over some issue....

Well, it's the first time I've had a taste of tear gas and I can attest to its effectiveness. Wow.... wouldn't want to be too near that.

I'm attaching a few pics that I took previously of the university. It's got tons and tons of left wing grafiti.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just think Matt. Not one bit of tear gas at Queens. What's with that.

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate. I got gassed back at the FTAA Protest in Quebec City a number of years ago. Back when I was young and idealistic. I would describe that experience as very unfun. However, it's funny to think how different being a university student is here than it must be there.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home