Saturday, July 30, 2005

And I'm off

Well, I'm sitting in a poorly lit alley near the pool of my hotel using pay internet so I'll keep this short (only 18 minutes of internet left).

It was an early morning after little sleep. Mailed an important letter and off to the airport. Mom and Dad left me on the doorstep and mom cried a little.... It's sad but this will be a Marvelous adventure. Uneventful flight to Miami and all my bags arrived (I'm 1 for 2!!!!!). Also Lisa (of the Bolivar teaching couple Lisa and Steve) was there with a neon "Colegio Bolivar" sign to greet me. I met up with Jordan (a friend who I did my B.Ed. with and whom I'll be living with this year) and Kate in the bar and had some yummy calimari and talked shop. We're all a little nervous and a little worked up which actually helps when you do it in a group. I've got worst cold sores popping up these past two days than I've had in years so I must be nervous (sorry, that's gross I know). There were actually other people from our group in the bar but we didn't know one another so we didn't actually all get together until they came up and asked if we were also from Bolivar. Then it was one big family trip off to this awesome cuban place. There was flamenco dancing and guitar and everything was in spanish.

So so far we have myself, Jordan who I have already mentioned, Kate who is teaching grade 5 and who's boyfriend was coming down anyway but then miraculously got hired to teach grade 7 math (worked out nice), Sonia and Scott who are coming down as a couple and Marty who looks EXACTLY like Colin Brown but is not quite as cool. I had to do a double take when I first met him.

Anyway, I'm safe and sound and loving the people so far. It's only going to get crazier and more fun I'm sure.

Oh yeah, I also found out today that we don't actually start teaching the kids on the 8th, school just starts on the 8th which means I'm there to plan and prep but the kids aren't there till the next week. Turns out a lot of us were under that impression..... sure takes some of the heat off... I just got an extra week:)!

Well, gotta sign off and get some sleep.

CheeryBye,

-Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home