Thursday, August 10, 2006

Yikes for the newzies

The wife of one of the new teachers working at the school (she's not working at the Bolivar) got mugged at gunpoint and had her wedding ring taken.

Talk about a bad end to your second week in a new country.

She was walking near her house (which actually isn't that far from my place.... but don't worry about me. If anyone ever mugs me they can have whatever they want) and some guy came up on a bike and pulled a gun (not sure if it was real or not) and took her ring. She speaks spanish as her first language so I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse.

Anyway, she is pretty shaken up about it. Understandibly.

As one of collegues says, "a lot of people here have nothing, and they're angry."

Just a little reminder that although I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, Cali is a city with a lot of poverty problems.

************************************************************************************

One more work day before the kids show up on monday. I'll be at school this weekend for sure. I feel pretty relaxed but I have a lot to do yet.

Em gets back from her canoe trip tonight:)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Come home soon. But don't think of bringing any food or drink on the plane. Have you heard the latest on air travel?

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home