Monday, August 01, 2005

Besides keyboards I don´t feel that out of place!

Ok, first things first, Colombian keyboards have a bunch of extra characters on them placed in really annoying places. I spend about five minutes looking for the ":" (and actually to put quotes on that I spend about 45 seconds looking for the quote button).

Well I´m safe and sound in one of the most beautiful hotels I´ve ever seen.... but let me catch you up.

Last you heard I was back in Miami... I went shopping with Steve, Kate, and Michael (the directors son) and picked up some bedding (I had extra room in my luggage), some surge protectors, and of course the all mighty sunscreen. At 1pm we made for the airport, checked in and after a 3.5 hour flight touched down here in Cali. Two women from the school who grew up here in Colombia came to meet us to help us through customs and translate when needed. The passport was stamped and then it was downstairs to pick up our bags, all of which arrived except for poor Jordan who still has bags coming from Toronto. The Cali airport was small and the only thing different from the ThunderBay one was lots of spanish and a few armed guards at the front. The school picked up our bags and the director Joe and Tom Rompf were there to meet us for a 45 minute ride to the hotel. The city is beautiful and in many ways like I remember mexico. Lots of people outside, less lighting than Canadian cities and a little more haphazard. This place is very industrialized though.... There is a domino´s pizza and a texaco down the street. Colombia certainly has a unique beauty all it´s own. I´ll tell more when I see more and have more time. The hotel that we are staying at is the former residence of the arch bishop (and remember, Colombia is very Catholic). It´s got all kinds of engravings on the side of the building and a big part of the inside is open to the air. Also it turns out that Colombian beer is pretty darn good which is a perk for any country. Marty, Jordan, Regan (who I forgot to mention last time) and I went for a quick walk in the evening and checked out the local area a bit. This is a beautiful (and old) neighborhood of Cali that we are staying it.

Well, today we´re off to check out the school and start house hunting so I had better go. I´ll send more news as I can.

Love Matt

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You're still alive! This blog is a great idea, but when you get settled in, could you email everyone your snail mail addy?

Have fun planning for the year, sucker!

love,
Liz

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

matt,

the fur trade has lost a little of its magic, some are trying to fill the craziness that is matt roy, however are not even close..this person being me...when i feel up to it...only you can have your level of energy all the time...

glad to hear ur in columbia and you safe in your compound, stay away from the drug cartel, and take pride in being a GRINGO!!!

much love,
andy

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home