Sunday, December 03, 2006

Bull Fighting

I went to a bull fight yesterday.

I knew that I should go to at least one.

It was actually really thought provoking.

Seeing this bull in the middle of the ring looking lost and overwhelmed, and charging randomly about as matodores leap out and try to get it to run around the ring to tire it out was.... I'm not sure.... strange?

I've decided that I can't be down on bull fights unless I become a vegetarian, something that I've wanted to do for years but have never been organized or comitted enough to actually do it. So many parts of my diet include meat and so much of that meat has some element of suffering associated with it. Sure, bullfights are suffering for entertainment but a eating a good steak is its own kind of entertainment.

Well, at least the art of heckling isn't dead. Lots of good whistles from the crowd to show their displeasure for one matador who took too many tries to get the sword in.

I'll post pics soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow A bull fight! I don't think i would ever be able to attend one.. i rember my first time in the fur stores.. and i still can see a beaver being skined.. i doubt i would be able to stomac a bullfight.. but i do agree that eating a great steak at the prospectors is great entertainment!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was cheering for the bulls at the bull fight I went to. But to no avail. They always lose. Actually it was quite distressing.

4:01 PM  
Blogger mike (in the middle) said...

One bull: out to pasture... dull sameness day after day... bees and dandelions take notice, but not much else... an approaching thunderstorm the only excitement...

Another bull: in the Ring... centre of attention... blood and testosterone coursing through the veins... life shortened, but life enriched! A chance to be a true Bull!

Who is to say? If you believe in reincarnation, perhaps the second is acceptable? U. Mike

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home