Tuesday, August 02, 2005

House Hunting Galore

So the past two days have been mainly consumed by house hunting here in Cali. It has been one mad blur of jumping in the van and having Jamie (pronounced Hy-ah-mi) scoot us through the insane Cali traffic from place to place. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be driving here. It is basically a prerequisite that you cut people off left right and centre (especially people on motor bikes...). Jamie has been able to pull that van into the craziest places...

So far everyone else has places but Jordan and I are still looking (we are going to be roomies). We really liked one place in Ciudad Jardin (pretty near the school in a nice neighborhood) but Kate really liked it to so we flipped a coin for it and lost best three of five by a count of 3-1. Sonia and Scott got a place for one million pesos a month (a little under 500 bucks US) that looks like a dance studio and would prolly go for about $4000 bucks a month in toronto. You can get some pretty posh properties for very little cash here. This is probably my best oportunity to live in luxury so I might as well take advantage.

Basically Jordan and I are looking for a place that has the following:
1) Big Balcony
2) Big Balcony
3) High up
4) Big Balcony
5) Two levels if possible
6) Supro Macho Balcony
7) Close neighborhood

So tommorow we will pile into the van again (just Jordan and myself along with Stella who has been our house hunting saviour) and give it another go. We stopped by the school today and as we were leaving Jordan turns to me and says, "Dude, you work there!" It's pretty amazing... I'll post some pics soon of how fabulous this place is. It seems especially nice everywhere too b/c we've been keeping to the nice expensive sides of Cali so far. There is certainly a different side to see but were way too gringo-ish to go there just yet.

Had a fabulous dinner tonight with a bunch of the principals and other school staff. I rode a Cali cab for the first time with my principal Rob and we saw our first Cali prostitute (trust me, it was VERY clear that she was a prostitute). I've also discovered that the beer here is pretty darn good. At the Stein (the money hotel where we are staying) there is a big drinks fridge where you sign out what you take on the honour system so we have been having a few cervezas to cool off in the evening.

Well, Jordan is trying to sleep so I'll sign off for now. Btw, before I forget, the best part about Cali is the view of the mountains in the West. I'll try to get some pics soon b/c it makes for an amazing view.

Wish me luck in the apartment hunting.

Love Matt

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,
Everything sounds like it's going really well! (Congrats!) Kyla and I got some really good pics of Seige rehearsal and I'll be posting them when I get my laptop hooked up again in the LC. I'll send you the link then- good luck with the house hunting!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home