Tuesday, October 11, 2005

After Canadiana Blues (ie Report card time)

Hi all,

Sorry if I don't write on communicate in any way over the next little while. Part of it is due to the fact that report cards are due this week. Basically I need to write up one general comment for each student, come up with a mark for each of three different objectives and write a comment for each of those objectives for 90 kids before Thursday ends. I'm also trying to mark all the stuff that remains so I actually HAVE a mark to put on said report cards..... So basically I'm not going to be sleeping on Wednesday night. Well, hopefully the parents will be busy reading all the comments from English, Math and History and won't notice that mine don't make any sort of sense.

The other reason that I may not call anyone for a little while is that I just got my first phone bill today which was 400,000 pesos (about $200) and I realized that I'm paying about a dollar a minute to call Canada from here. So guess what you're all getting for Christmas? That's right! International Phone cards!

The Canadian Thanksgiving party was a roaring success this Saturday. We had about 30 people come by and eat, drink and be merry. We also had some lovely decorative donations such as Canada post cards, Canada pencils, Canada pins, and three huge flags. I also put together a playlist of mp3 CD's (to those not very tech savy, it's like a normal CD but holds 200 songs) so we had about 9 hours of Canadian music (from Arrogant Worms and Blue Rodeo to... I don't know... something that starts with zed). Of course all of our American friends didn't know who the Hip were so I had to tell them the story of how I almost ended up frisking the Tragically Hip on their way into Alfies pub back when I was a student constable. Sorry that there are no pictures from the bash up yet, I keep forgetting to bring the cable from home. Basically, just picture a mountain of food and lots of people laughing. Oh yeah, we played snapdragon too, which consists of filling a pan with fruit and brandy, lighting it on fire and trying to pluck the fruit out (I think that I mentioned this before). It was very well received, especially by Bonnie who told me that in her family they used to play it with raisins in the dish. I dubbed that "extreme snapdragon".

After this whole report cards thing blows over we have a long weekend so I'm really looking forward to that. I'm going with Jordan, Jeff, Scott, and Sonia to a place called Ville del Leva which is near Bogota. It's supposed to be really interesting and they purportedly have a small museum that is build around a large dinosaur skeleton. For anyone who knows me well, you know how my ears perk up at the sound of the word MUSEUM.

Ok, I've gotta go to a Spanish lesson. Bye for now:)

Love Matt

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your party went well. I had a much needed (and very relaxing) thanksgiving weekend at home. Oh, and feel free to join the ranks of my newly inaugrated "recluse" army. It is only for those brave souls who have so much to do that they cannot dream of leaving their work spaces. However, it should be noted that I am the general of the "recluse" army. I may permit you to be an lieutenant.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home