Sunday, October 02, 2005

Award winning jokes, Dancing, and Earthquakes

Hi all,

Well, less than 12 hours till a new school week starts! I'm currently working at school but I'm listening to the arrogant worms which makes that better. I'm still holding out hope that I will be able to see them in concert some night. They're coming to Saint Paul MN in October but sadly I'll still be here in Colombia and it's a long drive to Saint Paul from here. It's been a fun weekend. Here's the recap......

Friday
I went to a place called Theatro Magico in the evening with a bunch of other teachers from school. It's basically like a cooking show without any cameras. You sit in this little audience looking down on this chef who shows you everything that he's using to make the food and talks about it as he makes everything. He also told lots (and lots) of dirty jokes and had a pepper grinder as a prize for the best joke of the night told by an audience member. I ended up telling the "Speaking Spanish" joke (most of my fort pals will have heard me tell this one) and ended up winning! Not really fair I know because I've had lots of voyageur feast practice.... but I really wanted that pepper grinder! The whole thing was in english (the chef did a special show for us) but I'm sure that I would have enjoyed it in spanish as well, just understood a lot less.

Saturday
Saturday I was lucky enough to get a call from Liz Massi (was this on Saturday Liz? I can't remember for sure.) and she claims that using international phone cards are really easy so I'm expecting a flurry of calls from all of my numerous friends and admirerers any time now. In the evening Scott, Sonia, Regan, Jodi and I went to an electronica place in the north end of town. Basically in Cali you've got the:
1) Only Salsa places
2) Salsa and Merenge places
3) Reggaetone places
4) Electronica places
5) and a very few 'others'
I was actually amazed to see that Calenians dance to electronica a little too much like they dance to salsa which just ends up looking weird so for the first time since I've been here I was catupulted from being the worst dancer in the club to the best dancer in the club. It was really nice to go dance my butt off because I haven't done it in a while. When we were leaving there was this SUPER deep pothole outside and a truck got completely stuck in it when one wheel went right down in. So a bunch of people sauntered over and just lifted it out and it went on its way.....

Sunday
I finished reading 'A storm of swords' by George RR Martin and am already salivating over the next book 'A feast for crows'. Sadly it doesn't come out till Mid November, otherwise I would have strongly considered having someone Fed-Ex me a copy. (If anyone is now thinking about getting me this book for a Christmas present, don't even think about it unless you want to give it to me a week early because I plan on starting in on it was soon as I get home).

Now I'm just hanging out at school avoiding doing real work. Must get to it eventually I suppose. About two hours my classroom started to shake a little bit for about 5 seconds! My first earthquake (that I rememer that is... there was that SUPER tiny one in Kingston a few years back that everyone slept through). I would have enjoyed if it had lasted a little longer but I'll take what I can get. Apparently they have a smallish one every few years in Cali but this wasn't much more than a blip on the radar.

Well, I'm off for now. Things to do (and maybe some sleep soon).

Love Matt

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, it was on Saturday, and I would also like to stress the point of how easy the calling cards are to use... And they're probably just as easy to use in Colombia!

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes international phonecards are easy to use...ive had lots of practice calling thailand recently (boy do you & i have to talk.. ive got lots of news...) so perhaps when i return from ottawa i will have to give you a call since you dont respond to my emails ;)

ok...ill stop being a jerk...

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mat!!
The Arogant Worms in concert! they Rock! trust me! saw them on capital hill a few years back on Canada Day!!!
Also we had a small tremmor in Sudbury to the other day nothing big.. were used to the groud shaking with the mine blasting and the ocasional rock slide!!
well glade to se you got better!!
don'T work to hard!
Salut mon ami!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt Roy is a god among men! not that i have gotten that out of the way i just wanted give u a shout out. it's me ur former nextdoor neighbour from res, jeff. holla-at-cha-boy. was hanging out with some buddies and one of the guys said he was ur old t.a. from last yr and hooked me up with this blog. qucik recap about whats going on since we last talked. cotton and i are still keeping the sports watching and gambling habbits alive and needles to say the alcohol consumption as well. oh and the NHL starts 2night. massive amounts of craziness in ktown b/c of it. gimme a shout via email, hope u still have it.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home