Tuesday, August 29, 2006

House being sold

Hi all,

Well I'm mostly recovered from the giardia and shock of finding out that my folks are selling the house. The giardia only took some time and some pills for my appetite to come rushing back. Getting over the house change will probably take a bit longer but I'm pretty stoked for the long term. It's a good move for my parents. Dad can design a house that he's probably been dreaming up in his head for the past 20 years and they can have somewhere a little smaller, on the Kam River (which has voyageur connections, I love that), closer to Mom's work etc. Of course there are some drawbacks. I'm a little nervous about having all my boxes and boxes of stuff sitting in the old house and needing to be moved. Partially because I feel really bad for my parents having to deal with that and partially because I'm worried what will happen to it in transition (and what might get "accidentally lost" (I'm kidding... no offence or hurtful things implied here)). I figure, also that I haven't spent more than a few days here and there in that house in the past year, and for Sky it has been much much longer.

Ok, Mom and Dad, can I put in requests now? You've got the nearby running water which is great but the new place will need a fireplace as well. And not one of those gas fireplaces. Those things don't count.

As much as I know it shouldn't be, it's hard to let go of really familiar things. Writing about the fireplaces I'm reminded of all the patterns in the rocks of the fireplace at my folks house that I have memorized (and the scar on my head that I got from that same hearth). A new place will make good opportunities for new memories though.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe one of you globe-trotting
relatives needs to buy it and keep it in the family! I agree about lots of great memories there. It has been a happy home & needs a family with kids in it.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like i'm not the only one who's getting a new thunder bay "home", we should start a club!

moving from the childhood home is rough, unfortunatly I had to do it twice! And the second time I wasnt even there to leave the old house (when louise tried to move so I couldnt find my way home). It takes some adjustment but the new place becomes home, so long as your parents are there and they continue to lug your boxes off stuff and store it for you its home! :)

and good call on requesting fireplaces, try for another hot tub too!

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home