Monday, October 24, 2005

Parent Teacher Conferences - New Hair

Hi all,

Well last week I had the pleasure of meeting with almost 90 sets of parents over two days. It sounds a little scary, mainly because a lot of them don't speak any english but the kids come along too so they act as little translators. I've also picked up enought Spanish that I would be able to tell if they weren't translating things properly. I also got the kids to fill out this sheet talking about how the year has been going so far and setting goals that they had to go through with their folks. It was actually a really rewarding experience and I got to see where a lot of the kids get their particular mannerisms from... Also, when Colombians greet they kiss on the cheek (unless it's a Male-Male meeting which is a hand shake; not surprising because Colombia is pretty homophobic) so on Wed, Thurs I got about 300 kisses. I also finally got over not being able to kiss my students on the cheek. Believe me, this was HARD to do. Coming from Ontario where you DON'T TOUCH THE STUDENTS it's very different going to kissing 13 year old girls on the cheek in front of their parents.
So last week I only taught on two days because we were coming back from a long weekend.

This weekend Jordan and I went to school on BOTH Saturday and Sunday which makes us either the most dedicated teachers in the whole school, or part of the first year teacher group... I can't remember which. I ended up spending most of the time sending email so if you received an unexpected email this weekend you know why;) I slept on the upper balcony in the hammock on both friday and satuday night. Sooooo nice. I would do it every night if I didn't have to move my alarm each time.

I shaved my head on Saturday night on a whim. I didn't bic it (ie. actually use a razor) but I used Jordan's electric clippers and got it down under a 1/2 cm. I haven't had it this short since grade 11 when I joined the senior basketball team, but it is long enough to cover the small scar on the back of my head. Most of the teachers didn't react but the kids were all shocked (in a really humourous way). In Colombia, when you cut off a lot of hair at once they say you 'fell off the bus'. I guess it's the equivalent of saying in Canada that people with frizzy hair stuck their finger in an electrical socket..... except that theirs makes WAY less sense. So all day the kids were telling me how I fell off the bus.

Well, it's time to work on a project for the kids tommorow. Keep posting comments. I love to read them.

Love Matt

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of being in Switzerland where you're supposed to do 3 kisses, starting on the left. Then going to visit friends in France, where they only do 2 kisses...and winding up kissing the air, or even more embarassing things. But the really important bit is that you need to head for the left cheek first...otherwise there's trouble :)

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I require pictures of you with a shaved head.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's weird how North Americans are so not a touchy feeling kind of people. It was all that English Iles and Puritan influence. We need to maintain our personal space.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... For us the French Canadians we have the same custom.. but not so much with students and teachers.. but 2 to 4 kisses.. on the cheeks is a normal thing!!!(K)(K)(K)... but of course not between guys.. although i don't quite understand why not....

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home